The main administration building of Stadtwerke Düsseldorf combines listed industrial architecture with spacious, open office space. Instead of a new building, the administration building was built as an extension of the former power station and decommissioned machines of the listed power plant were integrated.
Four office blocks run parallel to the historic buildings and are separated by three glazed atriums. The transparent glass facade of the new building forms a strong contrast to the coarse bricks of the old power plant building and guarantees maximum daylight incidence for the flexibly usable offices.
The turbine hall, built in 1889, serves as the main entrance today. Cuban artist Jorge Pardo was commissioned to design it. His 14 ceiling-high fabric pictures with imaginative motifs and the tiled floor he designed frame the disused turbines. These are no longer perceived as objects of utility, but in combination with the paintings they form a new total work of art.